The abundance of summer vegetables at the market right now inspired me to put together a raw vegetable salad. I had made this dressing on a whim to use up some leftover herbs and yogurt I had in the fridge, and it was one of those times when random leftover ingredients creates something delicious and worth repeating. Click more to see the recipe for this summer vegetable salad with yogurt herb dressing.
This recipe is super simple. Basically, you buy what looks good at the farmer's market, slice up the vegetables and throw it together.
I used a mandolin to slice the zucchini lengthwise. Be extra careful with your knife skills when cutting any vegetable this thin. I find raw zucchini to be delicious raw, although it may be an acquired taste for some. If you can't shave the zucchini thin enough or don't care for the raw state, it would be just as delicious if you grill and then let the zucchini chill before making the salad.
Now, I had some fun plating this dish and was a little fancy with it. It will taste equally as good, and look just as pretty with all the colorful summer produce even if you simply slice the zucchini into rounds and throw it all in a bowl.
The dressing is so versatile. Feel free to switch out the herbs with what you have, or even use onion or scallions in place of the shallot. The first time I used scallions, and it was just as delicious! You can use a combination of herbs instead, but I tend to have so much excess after buying herbs that I kept this recipe simple.
This dressing comes together so quickly. First, chop up the shallots and cilantro.
I used a mason jar, but you can use any covered container with a removable, yet airtight top. Add all your ingredients at once and give the jar a good shake until it is completely combined.
Drizzle or spoon the dressing over your plated salad, and serve immediately.
summer vegetable salad with yogurt herb dressing
makes 2 servings, with extra dressing
2 small zucchini
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 ear of fresh corn
1/2 cup yogurt
2 tbsp almond oil or other neutral oi
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 tbsp chopped shallot
salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the zucchini very thin, using a mandolin or a vegetable peeler. If you do not care for raw zucchini, you can grill the strips at this point - then let cool.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and shuck the corn. Cut off the kernels with a sharp knife.
- Arrange the sliced zucchini, tomatoes, and corn in individual serving dishes, or mix together in a large salad bowl.
- For the dressing, combine all chopped and liquid ingredients in a jar. Shake until well mixed, and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the prepared salad, and serve.
- You'll have more dressing than you need, but it will keep tightly covered in the fridge for a few days. Shake it up before using again, and it makes a great veggie dip!